Intro

This blog was created shortly after we got married to document the many adventures we would have together. Then we forgot all about it until we were given some news that changed our lives forever. On March 12, 2015 Kayla was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. Overwhelmed by the love and support we have received since then, we decided to chronicle this adventure for all of you who wish to follow along.

March 21

                Today is the first day of the hormone injections for the fertility preservation treatments. Everything I needed was shipped to me by the foundation. A sharps box for the needles and all of the drugs. Getting it all out looked like some kind of crazy chemistry experiment. I was too scared to do the first injections on my own, and had to have Chase do it. To be honest though, the injections were with much smaller needles than I had been stabbed with for all of the tests and blood draws I’d done so far. It didn't really seem so terrible after all. I just hoped that being on all these hormones did make me too much a crazy person.

                Chase then left for a club workshop and I tried to put our house in order. It was the first time I had a chance to clean the house. Even with us being gone so much that week I was surprised at the number of dishes in the sink and I decided to do that another day. Cleaning has always been therapeutic for me and it was nice to have a chance to relax. The rest of the afternoon was spent playing games with some of our friends. The whole day was oddly normal and probably exactly what we needed.


                That night was ward temple night, and we were wanting to go to the temple anyway. We had been feeling the need to go and really communicate with the Lord. We were still struggling to make a decision about treatment and knew that he had been helping us this far, it would be silly to not ask him about this decision as well. As we sat in the chapel waiting for our session to begin I prayed for some kind of guidance and the strength to endure and learn something. I also was reading the scriptures. As I read in the Book of Mormon, Moroni chapter 7 I came across a passage about the atonement. For some reason, even though I had read it before this time it seemed to speak to me. The atonement was provided for us to cover everything, not just sin, but sorrow. It makes it possible for us to go through terrible things and become stronger because of it. Because of the atonement everything we may suffer, or be denied in this life, will be made fair in the end. So long as we put our faith in the Lord all things are possible. I know this is true. I know that we are all children of a loving Father in Heaven, and I am putting my trust in his plan now because I know that he will take care of me.

                At the end of our session Chase and I talked some more about treatment options. Both of us had started feeling very strongly about one option over the other. There was no rational reason for it, but we could feel the guidance of the lord. We were still planning on getting a second opinion, and doing more research, but from that night on, I haven’t worried as much and I am not as scared. I know that we are being watched over and I know that no matter what happens, it will turn out the way it should. 

No comments:

Post a Comment