Intro

This blog was created shortly after we got married to document the many adventures we would have together. Then we forgot all about it until we were given some news that changed our lives forever. On March 12, 2015 Kayla was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. Overwhelmed by the love and support we have received since then, we decided to chronicle this adventure for all of you who wish to follow along.

March 18

                After the sheer insanity of the last few days I decided to take the day off of work and try to start putting the blog into some kind of presentable shape. This is an experience that I want to remember. I also just didn’t think I had the energy to do much more than sit on my couch for a few hours. Turns out I was completely wrong. At about 10 am I got a call from the fertility clinic. They had received my blood tests and needed me to come down to Salt Lake for a special injection. My hormone levels weren't where they like them to be at the start of a cycle and since we didn't have time to spare they needed to help me in the right direction.

                Well, there went my chance to relax today. I called up Chase to let him know that we needed to go back to Salt Lake. He was at work and could miss his afternoon classes. Back in the car again to drive an hour and a half back to Salt Lake. At least with all of these trips Chase and I get plenty of time to talk. To be honest we have plenty to talk about. It is strange to have so many important decision ahead of us. A week ago we were enjoying our spring break and talking excitedly about what life would be like after graduation. Now our life seemed to turn in to one long string of hospital visits and making decisions with large life consequences.

                We had to stop by the pharmacy at the U of U hospital to pick up my injection, and we couldn't believe how big it was. I was going to be happy to be back in Logan. With the small clinic in Logan, the wait times were much shorter, and people were starting to recognize me. Here I was one tiny person in a very, very large hospital, where everyone was in a hurry, and everyone had problems.

                After we stopped at the pharmacy there was a little time to go eat lunch. We had both packed a lunch that day so we decided to stop at Sugarhouse Park. It is right next to a high school and it took us a while to find a nice spot that wasn't already taken over by horny teenagers. It was fun to have a little picnic and spend some time together doing something romantic.


                Then it was off to the clinic for my appointment. It went pretty quickly. Heidi the doctor showed me how to give my injections. I was going to have to start those on Saturday, two injections a day for about 8 days. We also found out that we had been approved through the fertility foundation to receive free medications and the discounted procedures. What a miracle! At least now it would be possible to afford the fertility preservation, even though the insurance was not going to cover it. I still cannot express how grateful I am to my family, for their help with all of this, because even at the discounted rates it isn't something we would have been able to do alone.

                On our way back to Logan we switched out our cars with Chase’s parents. Our car has only had one working door for about a year and with me having so many procedures and not feeling well after treatment they offered to get it fixed for us. This was very generous since we didn't have time to do it ourselves and couldn't spare the car to get it fixed.

                Once we got home we ended up having to do some homework. Its harder than I thought to balance normal life and cancer stuff. I just want to through all my energy at the medical stuff until it is over, but I just don't have that luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment