Intro

This blog was created shortly after we got married to document the many adventures we would have together. Then we forgot all about it until we were given some news that changed our lives forever. On March 12, 2015 Kayla was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. Overwhelmed by the love and support we have received since then, we decided to chronicle this adventure for all of you who wish to follow along.

March 12 - Diagnosis Day

Thursday morning finally arrived and we decided to wait until the last possible moment to drive back to Logan so that we weren’t just sitting around our house waiting until we could finally go to the doctors and find out what was going on. So we spent several hours exploring the sporting goods stores in South Jordan.

Once it was time to head north we had a lot of time to talk about what could be going on and what we would do in a “worst case scenario”. Well, if we're being honest, I wanted to discuss worst case scenarios and Chase was convinced we didn't need to worry about it unless it happened. He’s good at keeping things in perspective that way. He did indulge me a little and said that if the doctor told us it was cancer it was a once in a life time opportunity to say something outrageous. Here’s what he came up with: “Oh good, we thought that aliens had laid eggs in her neck. Cancer we can handle.” We both laughed at that, but in the back of my mind I was still scared.


                The wait time at the hospital was a little longer than normal, but since we were the last appointment of the day we weren't too bothered. We were shown back to the office and had a little longer to wait. Chase passed the time by inspecting all the medical posters around the room. Lindsey came in and inspected the incision from the biopsy. Everything looked good and she was able to remove the steri-strips that had been holding it closed. I’ve never experienced such a satisfying feeling. All the itching was finally gone! Those were the most obnoxious things I've ever had to put up with.
                Once that was all over she gave us the results of the biopsy. The good news was that we had a definitive answer and we knew exactly what it was that had caused my lymph nodes to swell up. The bad news was that it was Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. The slightly better news was that Hodgkin’s is the rarer and more treatable form of lymphoma.

                I sat there stunned. Part of me had been expecting her to say cancer. But the other, much larger part of me was convinced that there was no way it could happen and that I was going to feel silly for wasting all our time. While I sat there trying to sort through the thoughts running through my head so that I could ask an intelligent question Chase speaks up. “Oh good, we thought that aliens had laid eggs in her neck. Cancer we can handle.” Both Lindsey and nurse laughed and it seemed to ease the tension in the room just a bit.

                After a moment or two of chuckling Lindsey dove right in to explaining what Hodgkin’s Lymphoma was and what is was going to mean for me to have it. At the moment I felt kind of mortified that Chase had actually made that joke, but looking back on it now I’m so glad he did. Now we have an awesome story to tell and it seemed to make the conversation easier.

                The rest of the appointment felt very business-like as I tried to absorb all the information coming my way. I tried to distance myself from the reality of the situation so that I could listen to the doctor without breaking down. It wasn't until she got to the treatment options, and the fact that the best proven treatment for Hodgkin’s was chemo, which means hair loss, that I lost it. I don’t know why that seemed to be the only thing that felt real to me. Lose my hair? The hair I've been diligently growing out for the last year and a half? It seemed so silly, superficial, and utterly unfair! Chase asked a few more questions but we were getting to the end of Lindsey’s knowledge. They don’t treat lymphomas at the specialty hospital and we had an appointment scheduled with a doctor at the Oncology center the next morning. Until then all we could do was wait.

                We knew our families were waiting to hear the results of the biopsy but at that moment I just couldn't call them. All I wanted to do was research. I wanted to know everything there was about what was about to happen to me. Chase and I scoured the internet and came across lots of helpful information. Once we felt prepared enough to talk to our family we got out the phone. It took about an hour to call both my family, Chase’s, and his sister. Everyone seemed to be as shocked as we were, and most of the conversations were spent sharing what little information we had and them telling us that they would do everything they could to help us.

                Feeling completely drained I told Chase that I didn't want to think about it anymore. He felt exactly the same way. We went out and got some Panda Express (the ultimate comfort food) and rented a couple of movies. Then we went home, settled down on the couch and prepared to enjoy ourselves. Little did we realize how perfect our movie choice was. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day actually became my favorite movie that night. For all the silliness, that movie is genuinely sweet and the moments that could have been a bit cheesy were exactly what I needed to hear that night.
Here is my favorite scene if you care to watch: 


                Before we went to bed that night Chase gave me a priesthood blessing. The spirit was very strong in the room. I could feel the love of my Heavenly Father as my sweet husband spoke words of comfort and encouragement. Even though we didn't know what the next few months were going to be like I knew that we weren't going to have to do it alone. We have been blessed with two wonderful families who are in a position to help us. We have so many kind and generous friends in Logan who will watch out for us. School is almost over and I finished all my midterms before the start of spring break. This may not be the most ideal situation but already we have been very blessed. I tossed and turned trying to sleep, but even though I was scared and I felt that things were about to get really hard, was comforted knowing that I wouldn't have to do it alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment