Intro

This blog was created shortly after we got married to document the many adventures we would have together. Then we forgot all about it until we were given some news that changed our lives forever. On March 12, 2015 Kayla was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. Overwhelmed by the love and support we have received since then, we decided to chronicle this adventure for all of you who wish to follow along.

March 20 - Last Test

                This morning we headed for the hospital for my very last test. This one was to measure my lung function and would serve as important benchmark to ensure that as we did the treatment there was no damage being done to my lungs. It is one of the more possible and severe of the side effects I could face. The test itself was long and frustrating. It involved me sitting in a box breathing into a tube in strange patterns. The technician would shout at me to breath in, breath out, pant and hold my breath in strange patterns. She kept telling me that I needed to give it my very best effort or I would half to repeat it. This meant that every time I had to repeat something I felt like I was failing.

                I haven't been this frustrated the entire process, but for some reason the combination of early morning, the length of the test, and the difficulty I had with some of it served to make me hate everything about the tests. Chase was trying very hard not to laugh at me, but every time the technician turned around I gave him a very disgruntled face. Even when we were done it left a bitter taste in my mouth. I know I will have to repeat the test at some point but until then I am just going to try to forget it even happened.

                Once the tests were over I was done with all the medial things I had to do that week. With the rest of the day free I decided that it was probably a good idea to go back to work. I had taken the whole week of spring break off, and hadn't been in the rest of the week after either. As much as I wanted to pretend it wasn't true, I was going to have to find a way to live with cancer as well as live my normal life. The guys at work teased me for my extended vacation, not knowing what had been going on. I had email my boss, but he was traveling and hadn’t shared my news with the entire team. After a slightly awkward conversation I explained what was going on. They were all very sorry for me, and offered to help me with whatever I needed.


                It was rather difficult to concentrate at work that day, and I was very excited to get a text from Briana. She was in town and wanted to stop by and see me. She even came to the parking lot at work. We hung out in her car for a while and sipped on our Jamba Juice while she listened to all my gripes from my week. It is so wonderful to talk to her and she has been a great supporter through this whole progress, fainting or no fainting.

                The rest of that day I ran a few more errands and scheduled a follow-up appointment with the fertility clinic. This meant another drive to Salt Lake for an ultrasound, but it was nice to know we wouldn't have to drive down until then. I also scheduled a hair appointment. I wasn't going to be able to avoid chemo, so I decided that is was better to just get it cut short, before it starts falling out.

                That night Tiffany and I threw a baby shower for one of the sisters we visit teach. It was so much fun to do something happy, girly, and not cancer related. There wasn't a lot of people there, but they were all good friends and we were able to enjoy eating delicious treats and playing fun games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment