Intro

This blog was created shortly after we got married to document the many adventures we would have together. Then we forgot all about it until we were given some news that changed our lives forever. On March 12, 2015 Kayla was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. Overwhelmed by the love and support we have received since then, we decided to chronicle this adventure for all of you who wish to follow along.

March 14 - Kyle's Visit

                Today one of my good high school friends came up to visit. We had been planning his trip up to visit us for weeks and I didn't see a reason to cancel on him. In fact it was probably a good thing to stay busy and do something fun, instead of moping around in my house. Kyle showed up early that morning and we sat around and talked for a while before going out for fun. We told him all about my diagnosis. I don’t see a reason to keep it secret from anyone. It is a major part of my life now, and not telling people just because I don’t want them to feel sorry for me does everyone a disservice. Kyle was wonderfully supportive, and it was really great that he never treated me like I was about to fall to pieces. Telling him up front seemed to make the day go more smoothly, because I never felt like I had to hide anything, or hold back any of the sarcastic cancer jokes I felt like making all day.


                We began our tour of the valley on Main Street. Kyle loved the music store, and we all bought more chocolate than we should have at the Bluebird. Lunch was a hot dog roast at Second Dam. Then we went geocaching up the canyon. Kyle even found the first one! It was his first geocaching experience and I think we converted him. It has become one of our favorite cheap date night activities. From there we went out to Gosner’s to show Kyle why Cache Valley’s  dairy is the greatest on the planet.




                Our final activity of the evening was going over to Kyle’s sister’s house for dinner. It was fun to meet her, her husband, and their adorable son. Dinner was delicious and for desert we had the pie that Kyle and I had made in honor of pi day! (3.14.15) After dinner we played some games and just had a good time.
The only difficult part of the day was holding Kyle’s nephew and wondering when or if I would have a baby of my own. I think that may be something I am just going to have to get used to over the next several years. Even after the chemo is over it is not recommended to have kids for a couple of years. This is when the chance of reoccurrence is the highest and you can't do the necessary monitoring PET scans while pregnant. It can also be a problem to get pregnant and then relapse because you would not be able to have treatment. I think this uncertainty about fertility and when or if I will be able to start my family will be the hardest part of this whole journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment