Intro

This blog was created shortly after we got married to document the many adventures we would have together. Then we forgot all about it until we were given some news that changed our lives forever. On March 12, 2015 Kayla was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. Overwhelmed by the love and support we have received since then, we decided to chronicle this adventure for all of you who wish to follow along.

April 2

               Here we go, the moment I had been waiting for since we started this process. It meant no more injections, no more running to Salt Lake, and no more ultrasounds. It was retrieval day! It was also the earliest morning yet. Even leaving from my parent’s house it takes 30 minutes to get to the clinic. That means we had to leave the house at 6:40am to make my 7:15am check in time. Getting up before 6:30am is not something I was made to do. My brain doesn't function well that early, and let’s just say my tolerance for the minor annoyances of life is at an all-time low any time before about 8am. I was also not allowed to eat breakfast. For the second time that week I was going to a medical procedure with anesthesia, and for the second time that week I was going to have to go hungry for most of the day. *sigh* At least this was the last time.

                Everything about the retrieval went very smoothly. After talking with the doctor, it wasn't going to be too much of an issue that we had been late on the injection. They would drag out pre-op as much as possible and then we'd be close enough to the correct time that it wouldn't matter. I was given sedation drugs again and the next thing I knew I was waking up from what felt like a very good nap. I didn't even feel very sore. Although, compared to the port surgery it would have taken a lot to make me notice. The doctor informed us they were able to retrieve 24 eggs, which will give us good odds at getting several embryos mature enough to freeze. 

                We decided to take a few hours to rest at my parent’s house before attempting to drive home, just to make sure I was feeling ok. Chase’s lovely sister Erin came by to see how I was doing and brought lots of treats. It was fun to talk for a while and have a good excuse to sit around on the couch. I did get a little sore as the drugs wore off. A couple of hot packs did wonders to help though. But before long we had to get headed for home. We didn't want to make the drive in the dark and both of us were ready to just be home.

                By the time we got there I was feeling pretty run down. There was so much that happened and my body had been through a lot. For the first time in this whole process I was starting to feel worn out. Physically I wasn't sure how much more my body could handle. The swelling from the port surgery hadn’t gone down much and it made it difficult to take in a full breath and limited the number of positions I could sleep in. Now my whole lower half felt bloated and crampy. I was tired from the number of appointments we had gone to and the number of procedures I had endured. I hope that from this point on it won't be so intense. It might almost be a relief to be able to just do treatment every other week instead of running around to every medical office between here and Salt Lake multiple times a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment