Intro

This blog was created shortly after we got married to document the many adventures we would have together. Then we forgot all about it until we were given some news that changed our lives forever. On March 12, 2015 Kayla was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. Overwhelmed by the love and support we have received since then, we decided to chronicle this adventure for all of you who wish to follow along.

April 17 - Thanks for the Love! (Chemo Day 2/12)

               Hello! Here is the weekly update, although I’m not sure how much I have to report. Like I mentioned before, most of the side effects were cleared up by last Thursday and I have felt really great all week. I’ll keep you posted on how I'm doing after my infusion today. The hardest part has been school. After a month of jam packed days, and only going to class a handful of times it was hard to get back in to the rhythm of things. It’s like I've realized how much more there is out there besides school work. That being said I was still able to study for (and get an A on) a test! I had missed so much class I wasn’t sure if I knew enough to do well. Lucky for me I have a great friend who is even willing to go to class and takes notes for me! Other exciting school things that happened this week include finishing my last ever group project and writing my last college paper (YAY!). It just seems unreal that I only have a final project and three exams between me and graduation. I have been having a minor crisis of identity as I try to sort out who I am going to be without school. Being a student has been the core of my identity as long as I can remember, and I have spent so many years in a class room. Guess we'll just have to wait and see and trust that it will all work out. I am looking forward to never having homework again!

                Today is my second infusion and I am getting it as I write this. I did a much better job packing my bag this time. I have my fuzzy blanket, plenty of snacks, a book, and a fully charged laptop. I’m all set to get pumped full of poison. It really is strange how quickly you can adjust to crazy things. I’m not sure how soon this one will affect me, but I can promise you that there will be no pastrami sandwiches in the near future! That seems to be the most difficult part, all of this not knowing how you are going to be feeling and not being able to plan for things because you just don't know. Maybe after this one I'll be able to establish some kind of pattern for how treatment makes me feel.




              
  There was one part of this week that I did not expect though; the massive amounts of love and support I have received from so many of you! I finally made the blog public on Sunday and the response has been slightly overwhelming! You all are so sweet to have spent so much of your time reading what I’ve written down. I have received more sweet messages and texts this week that I have any right to. It has been so wonderful to hear from so many friends and family that I haven't spoken to in a long time. I could never have predicted the number of people that care so much about Chase and me. Your gifts, messages, and words of encouragement have done so much to make me feel loved and cared for. I truly could not ask for a better support system. Thank you!! I also need to take a moment to give some recognition to my sweet husband who has done the dishes, picked up the house, and still managed to find time to work on his senior design project, work, and do well in school! He deserves an award for being so loving and patient with me! Not that I’m pampered you understand, he is also very diligent in making sure that all of this attention doesn’t go to me head and I remember to be humble. He has a gift for making me remember that having cancer does not allow me get away with everything I want and he still encourages me to set goals and improve every day. What would I do without that man??

No comments:

Post a Comment