Intro

This blog was created shortly after we got married to document the many adventures we would have together. Then we forgot all about it until we were given some news that changed our lives forever. On March 12, 2015 Kayla was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. Overwhelmed by the love and support we have received since then, we decided to chronicle this adventure for all of you who wish to follow along.

May 3 – Finals, Chemo (3/12), and Graduation

                Wow! What a crazy week!! Of course finals week is always busy but there is something special about the last one. I took work off so that I could have some time to study. For some reason I just haven't seemed to have much time for it recently. Ha! I have realized that I have missed nearly a month’s worth of material and if I wanted to be able to graduate I had to pass these tests this week. Chase has been pretty stressed to. Engineering finals will do that to anyone! I have 3 exams and a final project to get done. The project was due Monday. The project – a portfolio website for Chase’s graduate school applications - was about three quarters of the way done, but I had been procrastinating it the last couple of weeks and was down to one night to get it finished. Luckily things went smoothly Monday morning and everything got done. Never underestimate my powers of last minute productivity, it is a skill I have honed for the past 4 years! I spent the rest of the day studying frantically for my two history finals on Tuesday. Those were my most difficult finals, simply because there was so much material to review. Remembering everything I had learned about the Soviet Union and WWII was a tall order, but the tests went well and I was able to leave with that pride that comes from knowing you did well on your tests. Thursday was my last final and I wasn't too worried about it. Probably because marketing isn't what I want to do with my life, the class wasn't too difficult, and the test was going to be multiple choice. The strangest feeling was sitting down to that test and realizing that there were 100 questions between me and the end of my college education. I couldn't help counting down as I answered questions. 75 to go. Half way done. Only 25 questions left. 10 more!! 5!! This is the last test question ever!!! Phew! I'm still waiting for it to feel real.

                I was very lucky that my finals were over on Thursday so I could do my infusion on Friday. I was also lucky that it was the second week after an infusion, so I was feeling back to my normal self and didn’t have to try study through any nausea or chemo headaches. This did mean that I had an infusion at the end of the week though. It wouldn't have been much of a problem if it wasn't for graduation on Saturday. There wasn't really much to do about it except pray that I had some strength and energy to get through the ceremonies. This infusion brought the normal side effects. The most prominent one this time around was a killer headache that lasted most of Friday. But it also meant that the nausea was at a minimum. I think I've mentioned but nausea is my least favorite symptom. Headaches can be helped with lots of water, some Tylenol, and a nap. The nausea never really seems to go away for those first few days. If there is any kind of fairness in the universe I will have served my time feeling sick and not have to deal with morning sickness when the day comes to get pregnant! Seriously, those ladies who deal with it for months on end are super heroes!

                Graduation day came and I managed to drag myself out of bed to get ready. To keep the sickness at bay I had to eat some toast as soon as I woke up and then packed a purse full of snacks to keep me going. After some deliberation I decided to not wear a headscarf with my graduation cap. I didn't really have on that I loved with my dress, and it was hard to get the cap on over top of a scarf anyway. After watching all the girls with perfectly curled hair struggling to control their hats, I was kind of glad that I didn't have to worry about it. The cap stayed on my head and didn’t mess my hair up at all. Yay short hair!


                So many people 
One down, one to go!
were there to support me! I almost couldn't believe how many people turned up to sit through the “exciting” ceremonies just because they loved me. Chase’s family, aunt and uncle, and grandparents were there, as well as my family, grandparents, and aunt, uncle and cousins. I even had several friends that were there. All told there were about 20 people at our little apartment for lunch. Chase had gotten a large sandwich from subway ordered to feed everyone and I didn't have to do a thing. That is the way a party should be. It was so wonderful to see everyone and to get to talk to family and friends I hadn't seen in a while. The most exciting miracle of the day was that I hardly felt sick at all. It was my best post-infusion Saturday yet. I am sure it was because everyone was praying for me. It might have been silly but I was looking forward to the ceremonies and celebrating the end of my school career and was really hoping to be able to enjoy the day. I felt awesome all the way up until everyone left. Then I realized I was exhausted. Graduation is a long and exciting day and by the end I had absolutely no energy left. I went to bed around 9:30 and slept for about 12.5 hours. Even that wasn't quite enough and I had another 4 hour nap after church. I think it was a logical response to the stress of finals, and the excitement of graduation. Even after all that sleeping I still feel like my energy reserve tank is empty and it may take a while before I can stop feeling tired. It was totally worth it though! I couldn't have asked for a better way to end college!



Chase's Incredible Family

My wonderful family!
The bald headed support crew!




No comments:

Post a Comment