Intro

This blog was created shortly after we got married to document the many adventures we would have together. Then we forgot all about it until we were given some news that changed our lives forever. On March 12, 2015 Kayla was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. Overwhelmed by the love and support we have received since then, we decided to chronicle this adventure for all of you who wish to follow along.

February 24

                Went for the follow-up with Lindsey. Apparently the ultrasound was inconclusive and that there were two options from here. We could start me on a round of super antibiotics and steroids and see if that clears it up or we could do a surgical biopsy, remove the offending lymph node, dissect it and find out what was going on. Unfortunately because of the location of the nodes it would need to be done in an operating room under general anesthesia. So this was the decision I was left with: 



Antibiotics:
                Pros: Much cheaper than a full scale surgery. No surgery. Would most likely clear things                               up.
                Cons: It would take six weeks to do the treatment and if it didn't work then I would have to                           go do the biopsy anyway.  

Biopsy:
                Pros: We would know exactly what was going on, right from the beginning. Cool neck                                   scar.
                Cons: Surgery and everything that goes with it (cost, drugs, recovery). I could still end up                             doing the antibiotic treatment, after paying them to tell me it was nothing serious.

I told Lindsey I needed to think about it and that I would call and let her know once I had decided.
The rest of the night was spent discussing it with Chase and also my mom (who’s insurance I am still on) . I felt prompted over and over that the biopsy was the way to go and that I wanted to know what was going on right from the beginning. With some hesitation I told my mom my decision, and she was very supportive, even though that meant paying for a surgery.
I called the hospital the next day to schedule the biopsy. It turned out that the next Thursday before spring break would work well, since all my classes were canceled and I’d have the whole break to recover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment